Listen to Part 4:
Introspective coaches ask, “Does ‘it’ happen in the game?” If the answer is YES then they practice ‘it’ if NO then they do not practice ‘it’. Ex: Waiting in lines?
The extremely popular mini-series continues with Tyler Vaughn and Koach Karl discussing, in great detail, Steps 5 & 6 of the ‘9-Step Practice’. This unique coaching approach developed over decades, when properly followed, has proven to improve players faster than traditional methods.
Step 5. Half-time Break
- Teach players what will take place: Rest, Water and Review of the first half ‘theme’.
- Teach them how the ‘theme’ will be applied in the Second Half of Practice in Small Sided Games
Step 6. Small Sided Games – Cooperative (+)
- teach the players that there will be stoppages.
- give them ‘Points of Refinement’ during the stoppage
- help only those who need help
- when possible begin by asking a question
- expect them to learn the ‘theme’ in a controlled environment
- Be prepared to stop play on the coaches signal
- Be prepared to look/listen to the advice being offered
- Be prepared to answer the questions being asked
- Understand that your playing ability is not being questioned
- Understand that the coach is trying to improve you as a player
Step 6. Small Sided Games – Competitive (vs.)
- observe & take notes of individuals progress of the ‘theme’
- expect them to learn the ‘theme’ in an uncontrolled environment
- most important – be verbally silent & let them play..!
- test your ability to perform the ‘theme’ vs. real opposition
- understand that the coach will not stop play at any time
- you are now given the freedom to fail your way to success
- you are now given the freedom to have fun & enjoy playing soccer
MORE BENEFITS TO PLAYING SMALL SIDED GAMES:
- Games framed inside a set of rules to correct a weakness observed in the previous practice or game
- Involves maximum number of players in a minimum amount of space.
- Allow maximum touches of the ball in minimum amount of time.
- Create atmosphere resulting in improving physical fitness, technique and variety to keep players interested.
- Create an atmosphere where technique can be observed under game related conditions.
- Allow the coach opportunities to coach without disrupting others.
Between The Posts is a podcast powered by revolutionary goalkeeper glove brand Renegade GK. Host, Tyler Vaughan.
The “9 Step Practice” was developed by Karl Dewazien, and his California Youth Soccer Association State Instructional Staff.